Full Time, Benefit-Eligible
Location and Work Schedule:
Miami (Relocation offered), Flexible Hours
Sr VP, Product and Technology
We are seeking an experienced Director of Software Engineering to join our team in beautiful Coconut Grove (Miami), and help coordinate development of our full technology stack to deliver the next generation of online education. The ideal candidate will have the vision of a software architect and the skills to generate production-quality code for web-based and mobile applications. He or she will be given top-to-bottom responsibility for all aspects of development - web, database, mobile, and integration with Open Education’s software partners - and will be asked to map the future direction of the company's development efforts, while also acting as an individual contributor.
This role will provide technical leadership, vision, direction, and mentoring to the software engineering team. It will manage multiple teams which design, develop, and support applications to meet business requirements. The Director will also deliver product and feature roadmaps and provide overall leadership and day to day management for a team of software development professionals. Additionally, they will provide resource planning and project scheduling using Agile/Scrum software development methodologies.
- Meets business needs by managing the activities of developers, consistently delivering quality solutions on-time, within budget, and scope.
- Works with internal customers to gather business processes and project requirements.
- Actively drives the development life-cycle from requirements analysis, feasibility estimates, design, code, documentation, testing, implementation, and support.
- Develops project plans, resource planning, and scheduling; manages development timelines.
- Builds and manages multi-disciplined software teams and oversees the development processes using industry's best practices.
- Responsible for design reviews, code reviews, and mentoring the software development team, as well as for individual code contributions.
- Supports change management process to manage software releases, application patching and changes to production configurations.
- Manages multiple tasks and responsibilities in high-pressure environments; excelling at pinpointing and resolving problems in early project stages to avoid cost/time expenses.
- Develops and manages a balanced approach to internal versus off-shore resourcing.
- Oversees and manages department expenses and budget planning.
- Valid authorization to work for any employer in the U.S.
- Strong people and management skills to interact with staff, colleagues, cross-functional teams and third parties.
- Ability to drive a culture of quality and personal accountability through development and delivery teams.
- Commitment to quality through the ability to translate complex technical requirements into functional software using best practices.
- Expertise in vendor contract management and management of distributed development teams and resources.
- Expert in Agile methods including SCRUM and TDD.
- Experience in application architecture and making rational buy vs. build and interface decisions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work equally well in self-managed and team-based Agile/Scrum projects.
- Deep technical knowledge of web applications using web services (REST/SOAP/SOA/XML/HTML) and a Java-based stack.
- Willingness to “roll up the sleeves” and personally address opportunities or challenges.
- 8+ years of Enterprise level Application development with experience both as a hands-on programmer and software development manager.
- 5+ years of experience managing multiple teams with interactions across multiple, geographically dispersed sites.
- 5+ years of managing contract vendors including contract definition and review, vendor score-carding, RFI/RFP processes and ongoing vendor relationship management.
- Bachelor of Science Degree (Masters preferred) in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field.
MySQL, Postgres or other database interface experience.
Mobile/Hybid Apps, Student Information Systems,
CRM systems, and Salesforce experience is a plus
Open English (“OE”) has been a leader in online English Language Learning in Latin America since 2007. We provide individuals and corporate clients in emerging markets worldwide with a unique, practical and fun learning experience that caters to their own schedule and pace. The OE platform offers programs in English Learning with both on-demand content and personalized, live classes 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, with teachers who are all native English speakers.
With the acquisition of Next U in 2015, OE is now positioned as a global education technology leader offering various online certificates in digital technology specializations. The Next U portfolio of certificates currently includes online certification programs in web development, digital marketing, and mobile app development, including Android and iOS.
To date, the company has offered its online classes to over 500,000 students across Latin America, Brazil, the United States, and now Turkey. The company has been featured on numerous media outlets such as the Wall Street Journal, CNN en Español, and NBC. Open English has raised $120M USD in funding - the third highest in the U.S. Ed Tech industry and as of 2014 has been named by PitchBook as the fifth most valuable Ed Tech company in the world. Open English offices are located in Miami, Pompano Beach, Bogota, Buenos Aires, Caracas, and Sao Paulo.
What We Offer:
- Relocation assistance
- Very Competitive Compensation Packages
- 401(k) With Company Match
- Flexible Work Hours and Occasional Telecommuting
- Top Tier Benefits w/ Generous Employer Contributions: Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life
- Great Company Culture, Employee Events, and Relaxed Dress Code
- Unlimited Paid Time Off
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.