The OE Center English tutor is a bilingual (English/Spanish) education professional who thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced environment, and who can inspire and guide our English students. This person will be part of an immersive English environment and will foster the conversation skills of students. At the heart of the OE Center experience, they will make connections with students.
They will use innovative techniques, employ student-centered, communicative strategies, and rely on creative methods to motivate and guide students as they learn English. In addition, tutors will lead workshops, writing center activities and take an active role in the assessment of students.
The OE Center tutor will collaborate with the greater Academic team and the Learning Center facility team to ensure that academic quality is maintained, student success is prioritized, and student needs are met in a friendly, energetic, and fun manner.
Description of role:
OE Tutors are the heart of the OE Learning Experience. They welcome, guide and support our students in their learning goals. Their goal is to create a welcoming, fun, learning community where all students feel they can succeed
Support students by:
- Making them feel welcome every time students enter the learning center by learning their names, a little about their lives, and their goals.
- Guiding their asynchronous lesson experience by giving additional examples or instruction.
- Explaining grammar in a simple, efficient way; relative to the student’s English level.
- Providing vocabulary definitions and examples in context.
- Challenging students to speak English consistently in the center.
- Using multiple instructional strategies to help students make connections without resorting to using native language support.
- Ensure instruction is consistent across all student interactions with OE.
Support OE Center staff by:
- Maintaining an immersive English environment (English only!)
- Following up on instructional concerns from students
- Sharing concerns students may have
- Become an expert in OE’s learning process and tools.
- Provide tutorials to students when necessary.
- Provide live class support when necessary.
- Complete special projects as assigned.
- Fluent, native English speaker. Standard English speech.
- Prior EFL/ESL teaching or tutoring experience with adults
- University degree
- TEFL or CELTA certificate
- Deep understanding of English grammar
- Outgoing, curious, friendly, and engaging personality
- Comfortable with varying technologies
- Creative, flexible mindset
- Advanced degree in Education, English, Linguistics, or TESOL
- TOEFL, IELTS, iTEP or similar score, C1+ from last two years.
- Spanish speaker
- 2+ years teaching or tutoring experience
- Experience evaluating spoken English using rubrics